Head of School: ISNS Important Updates
Feb. 24, 2020
这封邮件比较长，主要分为三部分： 1. 为K4至5年级的在线学习提供额外支持； 2. 复课后每天延长上课时间； 3. 返校后计划实施的卫生防范措施。
5. 如果您的孩子在此期间需要社交/情感支持，学校咨询团队非常愿意提供指导。 在线学习是知识和技能培养的重要组成部分，请您协助督促学生务必按时参加。学校做出以上调整的目的是希望在线学习对学生更加有效，同时让家长辅导起来容易一些。
在这个充满挑战的时期，对于来自这样一个充满关爱的家长群体的支持，每一位教职员都心怀感恩。感谢您与我们一起，继续努力，使在线学习成为学生们可能获得的最佳体验。 真诚地， David Swanson 校长
We appreciate your patience and perseverance as we take on the challenge of helping our students continue their learning during this time.
I'd like to address three important updates for you in this message:
1 Additional support for online learning in K4 to Grade 5
2 Changes to regular school hours once campus re-opens
3 Safety measures to be implemented upon return to campus
We understand that the online learning environment inherently lacks the personal touch and social interactions to an extent that in-class learning offers but please do know that our teachers are working full-time and very hard to make this the best experience possible for your child.
The online learning has overall been successful for the MYP and DP. Despite our efforts, online education has proven to be more challenging for our younger students. We have received feedback from our community and are reassessing our plans accordingly. As such, we will be making a number of changes to support students and parents in K4 to Grade 5.
Additional support for online learning in K4 to Grade 5:
During the period of online learning from now until March 11 we will do the following to support PYP students and parents at home:
1. We understand that the language barrier can be an issue when parents are trying to support their child’s learning. As such, we will have our TAs provide translation for as much lesson content as possible in K4 to Grade 2. TAs are also available to support students and parents if you indicate you need extra support through your homeroom teacher.
2. We understand that most parents are not teachers and are not able to be with their child throughout the day as the teacher normally would. We will therefore provide options for learning activities for students/parents to choose from so that a choice can be made at home about which method of accessing the lesson content works best, hopefully allowing students to work more independently. We will also try to provide more learning activities that are active and get students away from their computers for a time.
3. We have implemented the use of Zoom to provide opportunities for students to have multiple options for live interaction with teachers and classmates.
4. Additionally, please do not hesitate to contact your child’s teachers if your child is having difficulty or feeling overwhelmed. Please encourage your child to ask questions if they don’t understand or if they need help.
5. Our counsellors are also available should your child need social/emotional support during this time.
Please keep in mind that participation in the online learning is required and is essential for your child’s skill development. Our goal with these changes is to make the online learning experience more effective for our students and more manageable for parents to support.
Changes to regular school hours once campus re-opens:
In addition to our ongoing adjustments and improvements to the online learning program, ISNS will be taking the extra measure of extending each school day by one full hour, once we return to campus. The extended school day schedule will be implemented for all age levels and will continue until the end of the school year. The schedule for the extended day will be made by the addition of time to each academic period. The adjusted school day will begin at 8:00am and end at 4:20pm. After school athletics and activities will be offered after the extended day from 4:20pm onwards. More details will be provided at a later date.
Additionally, we are exploring all possibilities for offering free summer school options. Please be patient as we develop a plan for the summer program.
While the teachers have delivered an equivalent amount of learning time during this period of online instruction as they would have during a regular school day, ISNS will be taking this extra step of providing more student contact time - the equivalent of several weeks of instruction - as a gesture of goodwill to parents and as an extra measure to ensure that our students are not negatively impacted by this unfortunate situation in any way. This additional learning time will be aimed at creating an opportunity for children to make-up for any lack of face-to-face social interaction and skill-building missed during this current period of online learning. We feel that this will be a positive supplement to the online learning program and a satisfactory adjustment to ensure that families feel the program meets our usual high standards.
Just a reminder that there will be no online learning or classes from March 12 to March 20 since we have shifted our spring break and a few other holidays to this time.
In the event that our campus must remain closed beyond the current projected date of March 23, all options will be reviewed again in order to find the best possible solution for our students and all other members of the ISNS community. We will be holding off on presenting additional options until we know for certain that the re-opening date will not change again.
Please keep in mind that the current situation is temporary and we will be back to school in good time. As a community, we want our students to develop the ability to learn and be successful in all circumstances. This situation has presented us with an excellent opportunity to prepare students for the challenges of the real world that lies ahead.
Safety measures to be implemented upon return to campus:
To help alleviate some concerns about our return to campus, I would like to share with you some preliminary actions that we plan to take to keep the campus safe for all:
1. Access to campus will be limited to students, faculty, staff and necessary individuals. Parents will not be allowed to enter campus without good reason.
2. Everyone will be required to have their temperature checked as they enter campus daily.
3. Students, teachers and staff will be encouraged to wash or sanitize their hands regularly throughout the day. Hand sanitizer will be abundantly available throughout the campus. The current research shows that this is the most effective measure that can be taken against the virus.
4. Everyone will wear protective face masks as much as possible insofar as it does not inhibit the teaching and learning. The effectiveness of masks highly depends upon their proper use and the individual not touching it.
5. All surfaces and learning environments will be sanitized daily, if not more often. High contact areas such as desk tops and handrails will be sanitized with more frequency.
6. Students will learn about proper hygienic practices and will be asked to cover their nose or mouth (if not masked) when they cough or sneeze.
7. Anyone who is suspected of being ill, regardless of the symptoms, will be sent home immediately. Parents should never send their child to school if they are not feeling well.
8. Please note that ISNS will arrange more precautions and hygiene measures as deemed necessary. We will share further action plans with the community at a later date.
I understand that during this time it is difficult to wait and see how the future will unfold. Patience in this uncertainty is, however, essential. We will continue to navigate the issues as they unfold and manage the situation as best we possibly can. We will continue to communicate regularly with any updates we have. We appreciate your calm resolve and the ongoing support you are providing for one another.
Please do not hesitate to contact us should you have any questions or concerns.
Everyone at ISNS feels very grateful to have the support of such a caring parent community during this challenging time. Thank you for your partnership as we continue to work to make this online learning situation the best possible experience for all of our students.
ISNS Head of School