Sodexo procedures to ensure food safety at ISNS
Sodexo works very closely with ISNS to ensure that food safety is a priority for our students. We are proud to be able to share the procedures that Sodexo will execute to ensure food safety the safety and health of the food served at ISNS.
Food Safety Mandarin
Food Safety Procedures
1. When designing the menu, Sodexo will plan to have the meat cut in small evenly sized portions so that it can be cooked easily.
2. Food storage: All food is stored away from the dishwashing area. Meat, vegetables, and fruits are strictly divided and stored into refrigerated or frozen areas. The temperature in the refrigerated room is kept at 0-4 degrees Celsius, and in the freezer, it is kept at -16 to -18 degrees Celsius. The temperature is checked throughout the day and recorded in the kitchen hygiene log.
3. Using fresh ingredients: All vegetables are cooked on the day they arrive. For other goods, one of the mandatory standards is the remaining shelf life of local products must be more than half of its whole shelf life, and import products should be one third. The storekeeper will administer a daily inventory check. The chefs will follow the principle of "first in, first out" when using the materials and check whether the materials fall within the shelf life standard.
4. Strict controls on the processing process: The food materials are cleaned in five steps, including picking, cutting and processing, soaking, disinfection, and washing, to ensure that there are no foreign objects in the food. We require the chefs to cut the meat in very fine slices to ensure they cooked well. For example, thick chicken breast, pork, etc. should be cut horizontally to make it thinner.
5. Pre-service: After each dish is cooked, the chef will measure the temperature to ensure that the food has an internal temperature of at least 75 degrees Celsius. Each dish will be checked several times in random locations. All the dishes are tasted by the canteen manager or the head chef.
6. After service: 125 grams of each dish will be kept for 48 hours in a special refrigerator. This is to ensure that Sodexo will have a sample of the dish to send for testing in case of any food incident. The kitchen and canteen are cleaned thoroughly after each lunch service. All canteen/kitchen employees clean their own work area daily and are inspected by the head chef before the employees leave. Deep cleaning is carried out weekly and the canteen manager is responsible for the inspection and results.