Assessment of Learning at ISNS
ISNS students engage in a variety of assessments each year. These assessments are both externally and internally administered. Overall, assessment data shows that ISNS students achieve a significant level of success in relation to their peers around the world.
ISNS analyzes assessment data to inform teaching and learning.
These formal assessments have a 3-fold purpose:
- To provide data on student progress for students and parents
- To indicate appropriate next steps for differentiated instruction
- To track data from grade to grade and year to year
PYP Literacy Assessments for 2021-22
Reading Assessment by Running Records
Assessing for accuracy, comprehension & fluency
Completed between August 25 – September 24, baseline assessment for G1-G5
- Create a literacy plan for reading by Thursday, September 30
Consider a mid-semester (November) check during guided reading lessons to check for growth, adjust groups as needed.
Completed between November 24–December 10, K5 ONLY
- Create a literacy plan for reading by Friday, December 17; begin to organize guided reading groups/routines for K5 in January
- Adjust the literacy plan as needed.
Consider a mid-semester (March) check during guided reading lessons to check for growth, adjust groups as needed
For struggling students, by April 01 as needed. Does not need to be uploaded to the database.
Completed between May 03–June 02, K5-G5
- Grade 5 should start on May 03 so that decisions about Language
Acquisition and Literature classes can be made by June 02.
On-Demand Writing Assessment
Two times a year, based on the 6 Traits of Writing, using standards (rubrics and exemplars) to achieve standardization.
Completed by September 10: benchmark assessment rubric, G1- G5
- Create a literacy plan for writing by September 17 (before starting Unit 2); Narrative writing samples except for Grade 5 (Persuasive)
K5 ONLY – completed by January 21 (before starting Unit 3)
Completed by May 27: benchmark assessment rubric K5-G5
- Narrative writing samples except for Grade 5 (Persuasive)
- Grade 5 should finish by May 20 so that decisions about Language Acquisition or Literature classes can be made by June 02.
Additional PYP Literacy Assessments for 2021-22 (not included in database):
Spelling Inventory and/or Letter/Sound Inventory and/or High Frequency Word List
Assessing for word study groups or determining emergent reading readiness
Completed between August 23 – September 03, baseline assessment for K5-G5
- Create word study groups by Friday, September 17 o Completed between January 03 – January 28, K5 - G5
- Adjust word study groups as needed.
Completed between May 03 – June 02, summative assessment, K5-G5
- Grade 5 should start on May 03 so that decisions about
Language Acquisition and Literature classes can be made by June 02.
ELPA (English Language Proficiency Assessment)
One time per year, Grade 4 ONLY; Province of New Brunswick literacy assessment
Completed in May: depends on decisions made by New Brunswick Department of Education and IF we get the assessments shipped to us before the end of the school year.
- Fountas and Pinnell Benchmark Assessment System
- Next Step Guided Reading Assessment (formative)
- ISNS Report Card Standards for Independent Reading Levels © 2016
- ISNS reading and writing standards and exemplars
- 6 Traits Writing rubrics
- Fountas and Pinnell High Frequency Word List
- Letter/Sound Inventory
- Words Their Way Spelling Inventory