Recess and Playtime
Recess is an important aspect of the school life and helps to foster learning at ISNS.
Students of different ages have recess at a different times throughout the day.
Early Years (K3, K4 and K5) students play outside:
- Morning recess (K5): 9:40 AM – 10:00 AM
- Morning recess (K3 and K4): 10:00 AM – 10:20 AM
- Lunch recess: 12:20 PM – 12:50 PM
- Afternoon recess: 2:20 PM – 2:40 PM
Grade 1-5 students play outside:
- Lunch recess: 11:30 AM – 12:20 PM
- Afternoon recess: 2:05 PM – 2:20 PM
Students must use the playground equipment correctly. They must follow the directions of the adult on duty, and avoid unnecessary rough play or unsafe behavior.
All students must play safely. The teachers, in conversations with students, reinforce guidelines while they play as well as in the classroom. Students may be asked to sit and reflect on their behavior before being allowed to resume play unless their behavior requires a more severe consequence.
During recess times, the K3 to Grade 5 students have access to designated play areas, and MYP and DP students have access to designated play areas, as well as the indoor gym, rooftop gym and fitness room. Students also have access to the library and a Games Room.
Students are to stay in their designated areas during recess times. The library will be open during lunch recess from 11:30 AM - 12:20 PM. Students may read or do homework in the library but may not play computer games. Library “quiet rules” apply at all times. Food and drinks are not permitted in the Library or in any play areas.
On rainy days and on days when the air quality index reaches greater than 200ppm, all PYP students will remain in their classrooms under the supervision of a duty teacher. MYP and DP students may remain in any of the regular indoor recess areas. Students are not permitted to be in a classroom without a teacher present.
- Please only go down, not up the slides.
- Feet first down the slide.
- One person at a time down the slide.
- Please ride bikes in one direction (follow the arrows) and stay in the designated area.
- When riding bikes, do not crash bikes into each other.
- Please put bikes away when asked to or when you are done playing. Ride the bikes back, do not push them back.
- Please stay off the roof of the plastic cars and the toy houses.
- Please climb inside (not outside) the play structures such as the macaroni-shaped rope tunnel and tube slides.
- Please respect others and play nicely.
- Be gentle when playing games such as tag.
- Please put rubbish in the bins provided.
- Go inside to use the toilet.
- Please do not destroy plants or any garden areas.